Civilizing the Economy A New Economics of Provision

Posted Apr 6, 2010 by Darilyn Kotzenberg in Uncategorized, 108 Comments

If you want to prove capitalism works, you might think back to 18th century Glasgow.  That’s where Adam Smith was when he created the theory of market capitalism – he looked around, saw open markets, saw competition, saw the industriousness and prosperity that resulted, and correctly concluded that a system of free markets based on competition benefits everyone.

Everyone, that is, except the slaves.

Because what Smith’s famous example leaves out is the fact that Scotland’s prosperity was the result not just of free markets, but of slaves in the Americas producing tobacco that could be shipped to Scotland for processing.  Without the slaves, the system wouldn’t have worked.  To read more click here

108 Responses to “Civilizing the Economy: what we can do if the myths of capitalism don’t add up to the facts”

1. 網路創業 says:

November 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Thanks I finally came to a website where the webmaster knows what they're talking about. Do you know how many results are in Google when I search.. too many! It's so irritating having to go through page after page after page, wasting my day away with thousands of owners just copying eachother's articles... bah. Anyway, thanks for the information anyway, much obliged.
  2. viec lam tphcm says:

November 21, 2010 at 6:26 am

Took me time to read all the feedback, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be very useful to me and I am certain to all the commenters here! It is all the time nice when you cannot solely be told, but in addition engaged! I am positive you had joy writing this article. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.
  3. Smokeless Cigarette says:

November 21, 2010 at 11:54 pm

I have a problem with the overall premise of this page but I still think its pretty informative. I really like your writing style. Keep up the great work.
  4. Snowboards says:

November 24, 2010 at 11:36 am

Great wordpress blog here.. It's hard to find quality writing like yours these days. I really appreciate people like you! take care and see you soon
  5. memory training says:

November 29, 2010 at 7:47 am

I think this is very important. Thanks a lot.
  6. government grants says:

November 30, 2010 at 4:25 am

this post is very usefull thx!
  7. Barry Updegrove says:

November 30, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Brilliant blog posting. I found your post very interesting, I think you are a brilliant writer. I added your blog to my bookmarks and will return in the future.
  8. Gold Prices 2012 says:

August 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I like this post.... [...] Even though this story isn't the most recent, I liked it and linked to it at my blog. The only suggestion I have is to update this entry with a new video. [...]...

Marvin T. Brown, Ph.D teaches business and organizational ethics at the University of San Francisco and Saybrook University in San Francisco.

This book is the culmination of 30 years of teaching and writing on business and society from a communicative perspective. Visit workingethics.com for more information.

Adam Smith Atlantic trade banks biosphere citizen Citizens United city civic civic conversations civic economy civic membership civilizing the economy common citizen Commons corporate citizen corporation as property corporations democracy disagreement economics of dissociation economics of provision Egypt future health care reform invisible hand John Locke Kant libertarianism membership money moral equality ownership property property relations protection reciprocity Scotland slavery Smith and slavery Smithian economics sustainability taxes the civic tobacco trade Wall Street

Cambridge University Press